Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Vogue Knitting San Francisco 2018 The Classes - Brioche Lace

One of my goals for 2018 was to get comfortable with Brioche Knitting.

I have taken quite a few brioche classes in the past 9 years, with a variety of different instructors: Nancy Marchant, Antie Gillingham (my favorite sock author and teacher), Lavanya Patricella, J.C. Briar ( great take on the process), Faina Goberstein and probably a few others that I can't remember.  I spent countless hours on Nancy's Craftsy classes on Brioche, rewinding again and again, til it was beginning to make sense.   Love the fact that you can rewind, pause and take notes in class on the site.
This year at Vogue, I took a class with Nancy Marchant again.   This was about brioche lace and at this point I had knit two brioche scarves.    Now mind you I'm a combination continental knitter. That means my stitches are loaded onto the needles so that when I knit a stitch I place the needle into the back of the stitch.  (it isn't twisted and I get great fabric when I knit, it's also a faster knit.)  It's sometimes referred to as Russian style.   So anyway, as I'm taking the class and knitting this way I was able to figure out that in order to make holes (lace) properly for brioche, I needed to twist the stitch and Nancy gave me the OK!!!  Great feeling.

Here's what I'm working on now.    This is definitely a focused knitting project - no music, no TV no distractions.    It been a few weeks since I picked it up and knitting a few rows each day has been my practice.

The Pattern:  Ms. B from Knitting Fresh Brioche by Nancy Marchant.
Yarn:  Rowan Silk Haze 25g each, 2 gray & 2 lavender


Light side 

No comments: